Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Edinburgh Castle

I was quickly nearing the end of my trip and had yet to visit Edinburgh Castle. Liz also needed to go, and Tiff liked it so much she wanted to go again, so off we went to see the most visited site in Scotland (according to the statistics). The entrance fee may be slightly high, but the castle is full of museums, which actually outnumber the tourist shops. It truly is a great landmark. Without the castle on a hill in the middle of the city, I would have gotten lost countless times. If you ever visit Edinburgh, just get a map and look for the castle.

This castle has cannons and statues, it's so extensive, it even has a signpost telling visitors where to go! It rained at the most random times in Scotland. I'm so glad I had my umbrella with me! One of the exhibits features a history of the crown jewels of Scotland, which are housed in the castle now. Would you believe the jewels were lost for hundreds of years! Sir Walter Scott found them again, and now everyone can see them, along with the Stone of Destiny, which is where the Kings of Scotlant were crowned. On the way home, I stopped by a cemetary, and found a statue of Abraham Lincoln, which commemorates the Scottish-American soldiers that fought in the Civil War. I did not expect to see President Lincoln in Scotland, but there he was.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home