Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Da Vinci Code








Well, Dan Brown isn’t the only one who is making tons of money because of his book. Thousands of people have visited Roslin Chapel since the novel ‘Da Vinci Code’ was published, and with the Chapel so close to Edinburgh, how could I resist? It took a few months, but Liz and I finally took a morning off and hopped on a bus to Roslin. We paid the 8-pound entry fee (I imagine that has gone up over the past few years) and were amazed by the intricacy of the stonework and the countless symbols hidden inside. I understand why there is so much speculation about this place! I’ve included here pictures of the Apprentice Pillar, a ‘Green Man,’ and a carving of the Fallen Angel. Unfortunately, the outside of the building is surrounded with scaffolding that supports a roof that keeps the Chapel dry. Apparently, years ago the Chapel had turned completely green inside, and they’ve had to clean things up. After leaving the Chapel, Liz and I walked down one of the paths and found a house – if I’m not mistaken, this is where a portion of the movie was filmed. Perhaps descendents of the Masons or the Knights Templar still live here? I love the mystery surrounding the Chapel, and the questions raised about its history. What do I think about the ‘Da Vinci Code’? Some of it is rubbish, of course, but parts of it may well turn out to be true enough.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home